Toxic relationships can be as damaging and addictive as drugs and alcohol. Getting out of a toxic relationship isn’t as easy as it might seem. The first step is recognizing that a relationship is toxic. Here are 8 signs to help you determine if you need to evaluate a relationship and take some moves.
- You’re Just Not Comfortable: Feeling comfortable around someone is a sign of a healthy relationship. Your relationship might be toxic if you constantly feel uncomfortable or on edge around your partner. You’re never sure what they’re going to say or do next to criticize you, put you at dis-ease, or more.
- There’s No Respect: Respect is essential for a long lasting and healthy relationship. You should have respect for your partner and they should have respect for you. If they act in disrespectful ways on a consistent basis, that proves they are disrespectful in general. We all have our moments, but moments are meant to be sporadic, not constant.
- Communication Is A Struggle: Communication is key for healthy relationships. All couple struggle with communication. It takes work and practice. You find you can’t even communicate about communication with your partner. They’re shut down, shut off, and uninterested in what you have to say.
- Promises Are Never Kept: Keeping promises can get elaborate, but everyday agreements and relational contracts should be kept. If you count on your partner to do something they say they are going to do and they don’t do them,
- You’re Not Included: After several months, or maybe even years, you haven’t met his friends, his family, his co-workers, or anyone he considers to be close to him. When you invite him to meet your family and friends or attend events he obliges without issue. Yet, when it comes to his private affairs you’re completely shut out. Relationships are meant to be inclusive, not exclusive.
- Sex Makes You Feel Insecure: Having a sexual relationship and sexual chemistry is not always a positive sign. If sex leaves you feeling insecure, unsure of your relationship status or even unsure about yourself, something is definitely amiss.
- A Future Is Not In Store: You’ve been together for some time and there is no talk of future plans, even about where your relationship is going. Partners can make it very clear when you are not included in their long term plans. Make sure to pay attention to those signs and prepare yourself for an alternate story line.
Avalon By The Sea offers exceptional counseling for relationships and grief counseling for moving past them. Our clinically based programs are designed to promote total healing of mind, body, and spirit. For a confidential assessment or more information on our programs, call 1 (888) 958-7511 today.