Whether you’re holding onto your current job for the salary, the comfortability, the location, the position title, or a different reason, the motivating factor behind your position is an important one. How you feel about your job and what propels you to continue working each day gives you some meaning to your life – it’s what we often talk about when we first meet someone, because we spend so much time at work that it, in part, reflects a little bit about who we are and what we’re about. If you are holding onto your job for the wrong reasons, this could be very detrimental to your health.
Forbes Magazine states that 20% to 40% of people report hating their job – an alarming statistic, to say the least. Staying in a job that you don’t like raises many concerns, including:
- Negative health consequences: Stress eating and lack of exercise can lead to weight gain, and there is a strong correlation between the two if you’re in a position you despise. Disliking your job can weaken your immune system because all your energy is going into negativity and exhaustion.
- Mental health issues: Stress at work can lead to depression, anxiety, and constant negativity surrounding your work can release chemicals and hormones that result in physical symptoms such as panic attacks, nausea, headaches, drowsiness, and more.
- Lost sleep: If you’re worried about work, this could easily cause you to toss and turn at night, making you even more exhausted the next day. Less sleep also contributes to a lower immune system – it’s all connected.
- Relationship issues: The more stressed you are, the greater of an impact it will have on your relationship with others. Personal and family obligations are on a continuum, and added stress can inhibit your ability to get other things done.
- Damages passion and motivation: Overall, hating your job dwindles your passion and motivation to succeed; it diminishes the light within you that pushes you towards success and well-being.
If you find yourself dreading your job, consider changing it. There are many opportunities out there, and you have the power to decide. Make the decision to place your happiness and health above all else. All it takes is a little determination and searching.
Avalon Malibu is a world-renowned, California state-licensed mental health and substance abuse recovery treatment center. Our licensed, experienced health care team truly cares about your recovery and will work with you to develop tools to overcome your challenges and better manage your symptoms. Make the decision to seek help today, and call us at 888-958-7511 for a consultation.