Whether you have a mental disorder or not, maintaining your mental health is so important to leading a happy life. A lot of times we place our mental health on the back-burner without even realizing it – we may push ourselves too hard at work or may be critical of ourselves. When this happens, we hinder our ability to live our lives to the fullest extent. Furthermore, a 2012 study published in the British Medical Journal stated that people with even mild mental health problems may have a lower life expectancy. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services states that positive mental health helps you achieve the following:
- Realize your full potential
- Cope with the stressors of life
- Work productively
- Make meaningful contributions to your community
If you are looking for ways to enhance your mental health, here are some things you can begin doing today:
- Seek professional help – If you haven’t yet, seek out the help of a treatment center and/or therapist. A licensed psychiatrist can give you a diagnosis if you think you may have a mental disorder, and you can work with a professional to create an action plan towards your recovery.
- Connect with others – The Huffington Post states that by loving ourselves, we open our heart to others and gain deeper fulfillment from life. Make connections. Spend time with people who are good for you.
- Get physically active – Studies have shown that exercise has not only physical benefits, but mental benefits, too. De-stress by exercising at least 3 times a week for 30-45 minutes each. Taking small walks throughout the week is also a good way to boost your mental health.
- Have plenty of sleep – The National Sleep Foundation states that 7-9 hours is an appropriate amount of sleep. If you are getting significantly less or more sleep than what is recommended, you may want to speak to a health professional.
- Develop effective coping skills – Healthy coping skills include support, relaxation, problem-solving, humor, activity, breathing exercises, and more.
Begin taking control of your mental health today. By doing this, you increase your chances for living a longer, happier, healthier life.
Hidden within the seclusion of a lush estate, the residential homes of Avalon Malibu sit, offering the privacy and premiere clinical treatment you want for your loved one. Our treatment programs offer both mental health and substance use disorder care. As one of California’s only primary certified treatment centers, our ability to provide holistic, personalized, co-occurring care is unparalleled. Call us today for information: 888-958-7511.