For many years, there has been much debate over the benefits of 12-Step programs – but as more programs have been developed, there are now other options to compare to as well. Recovery is different for everyone, and it truly all depends on one’s personal approach. Holistic healing is about the mind, body and spirit – and taking the path that suits the individual is key. If you’re at the beginning of your recovery journey, it’s worth considering some of the benefits – and differences – to each type of program, so that you can make an informed decision before moving forward with either one.
- Focus on a Higher Power
- Strengthens one’s sense of spirituality
- Offers peer support through meetings
- Is based on the belief that as humans, we are not strong enough to carry the weight of our faults on our shoulders – we need help from above
- Encourages individuals to make amends with those who’ve been harmed in the past
Non 12-Step Programs
- Does not offer a spiritual component, but may be based more on personal responsibility
- Strengthens one’s sense of purpose in their community
- Offers peer support through weekly meetings
- Is based on the belief that we all have choices we can make, and even if we’ve made mistakes in the past, we can actively move forward
- Encourages individuals to follow their own path in recovery
The biggest difference between 12-Step and non 12-Step programs could arguably be the basis of beliefs. Some in recovery prefer to follow a more spiritual or religious path, while others may choose to focus on what they can control in their daily lives. Either way, both can build an incredibly enriching path towards healing – it all depends on what a person truly needs to grow.
If you’re ready to begin working towards your own healing and restoration, speak with a professional from Avalon Malibu today.
Avalon Malibu is a world-renowned, California state-licensed mental health and substance abuse recovery center. If you are ready to seek treatment to develop the tools you need to overcome life’s obstacles and be on the road towards happiness, health, and well-being, call us today at 844-857-5992 for a consultation. It’s never too late, and there are people here ready to help you.