Finding the right treatment program for you can be a daunting experience. With so many options and so much to consider, it may feel easy to simply select a program that’s the most convenient, affordable, or straight-forward. While all of these options provide some benefit, a key component of your decision-making should be focused on whether or not the treatment center works with you to develop a customized treatment program that will best suit your needs. As a 2015 study published in the Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine emphasizes, personalized programs are an emerging paradigm since many people have experienced misdiagnoses, late and inadequate treatment that has required them to re-enter programs, and unsuccessful attempts to recover due to a lack of support in other areas of life such as employment and finance management.
Perhaps you have been on the receiving end of one of those unfortunate cases. If you have, you’ve likely found that there was a component of your initial program that was missing – something that didn’t quite speak to what you needed. For a customized treatment program, the following must be taken into account:
- Your history with mental illness (when it began, what symptoms occurred, how long they lasted, etc.)
- Your history with drug use and addiction (same as with mental illness)
- Social issues that you’ve experienced as a result of or that contributed to a mental illness or addiction
- Vocational problems you’ve encountered as a result of or that contributed to a mental illness or addiction
- Your home environment and support
- Your childhood history
- Legal problems you’ve experienced
- Your age, gender, ethnicity and culture and any experiences you feel are pertinent for your healthcare team to know regarding these topics
- Medications you’ve taken in the past and are currently taking, what you are allergic to, etc.
- Your learning style and personal interests
Lying or omitting any information regarding these factors could jeopardize your success in recovery because your treatment program will be compromised. During your initial intake, be sure to include all information that you can so that you have optimal chances for individualized treatment.
Avalon Malibu is a world-renowned, California state-licensed mental health and substance abuse recovery center. If you are ready to seek customized treatment to match your direct needs and be on the road towards happiness, health, and well-being, call us today at 888-958-7511 for a consultation. It’s never too late, and there are people here ready to help you.