A personality disorder is a form of mental illness that can affect nearly every aspect of a person’s life; it can make relationships, careers, and daily life challenging if not treated appropriately. Many people who suffer from a personality disorder may show symptoms but may not recognize that they’re experiencing a disorder. By understanding the different characteristics that can take place, you can better assess if you or a love done needs help:
- Paranoid personality disorder: unjustified suspicions that someone is out to harm you, angry/hostile reactions to perceived insults, tendency to hold grudges, difficulty confiding in other people
- Schizoid personality disorder: lost interest in activities, appearance of being cold/distant from others, difficulty picking up on social cues around them
- Schizotypal personality disorder: Peculiar ways of dressing, thinking and behaving, indifferent or inappropriate reactions to others, and more
- Antisocial personality disorder: disregard for others’ feelings, persistent lying, cheating, stealing, etc., disregard for the safety of others or self, impulsive behavior
- Borderline personality disorder: unstable mood swings, ongoing feelings of emptiness, intense displays of anger, fragile self-image
- Histrionic personality disorder: constantly seeking attention, easily influenced by others, speaks dramatically about something without having the facts or information to back it up, perceives relationships with them to be closer than they really are
- Narcissistic personality disorder: exaggeration of achievements/talents, fantasies about power or success, unreasonable expectations for self and others, and more
- Avoidant personality disorder: too sensitive to criticism, avoidance of work activities involving interaction with others, extreme shyness in social situations
- Dependent personality disorder: extremely submissive or clingy to others, tolerance of abuse or poor treatment, lack of self-confidence
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder: intense desire to control everything, rigid and stubborn, not willing to be flexible about morals and values, neglecting of friends who are close, etc.
Avalon Malibu is a world-renowned, California state-licensed mental health and substance abuse recovery center. If you are ready to seek treatment to develop the tools you need to overcome life’s obstacles and be on the road towards happiness, health, and well-being, call us today at 844-857-5992 for a consultation. It’s never too late, and there are people here ready to help you – it’s never too late to begin taking steps towards a happier, healthier life.