Relationships are one of the most important aspects of life because they bring us love, joy, and meaning. Whether you’ve been with someone special for a few months or a few years, the way you and your partner manage your relationship sets the stage for how your life will play out. The Huffington Post states that while most people have the belief that “the one” is out there for them, the reality is that any relationship is hard work and we can’t depend on another person for our happiness. Even then, two people must work hard to make a relationship flourish.
The following are some key principles of a successful relationship:
- Love and commitment – Growing in love and caring for one another, being loyal, and spending time together are so important for relationships, according to Health Guidance.
- Patience and forgiveness – Especially during the first few years of a relationship, each person is learning more about the other, making patience and forgiveness critical. If you can listen to one another and respect who the other person is, along with their thoughts, ideas, and dreams, you likely have a good relationship going.
- Honesty and trust – Psychology Today notes that being able to trust your partner is a huge predictor of relationship success. Can you count on your partner as a solid foundation in your life?
- Communication – Perhaps one of the biggest pitfalls of failed relationships, communication takes time, hard work, and a lot of patience. You and your partner are completely different people, so it will take some time to learn one another.
- Selflessness – Ultimately, relationships involve some “give-and-take”. You must be willing to sacrifice some things, just as much as you receive. If you can master the art of compromise with your partner, you will have better chances of success.
According to the American Psychological Association, approximately 40% to 50% of marriages in the United States end up in divorce. While there are likely many different factors that have led to this, there is a great chance that many of those marriages lacked in the success of one of the key elements listed above. Work with your significant other from the beginning to create a long-lasting love. Seek help if you both need to – it’s worth it in the end.
Hidden within the seclusion of a lush estate, the residential homes of Avalon Malibu sit, offering the privacy and premiere clinical treatment you want for your loved one. Our treatment programs offer both mental health and substance use disorder care. As one of California’s only primary certified treatment centers, our ability to provide holistic, personalized, co-occurring care is unparalleled. Call us today for information: 888-958-7511.