Addiction recovery is so much more than just healing physically from addiction. The journey of sobriety provides space for people to get to know parts of themselves that may have been unrealized for years due to drinking and/or using.
During this process of self-discovery, many people also uncover passion and purpose, two things that had most likely been missing from their lives prior.
Self-Discovery Through Slowing Down
While detoxing, as well as attending therapy and support groups are often the main focus of treatment programs, there are also many holistic services available to supplement traditional treatment. Healing activities like meditation, mindfulness, and yoga give many the much-needed opportunity to slow down and reflect.
Take a moment right now to just breathe, and notice what a difference it makes. In this headspace, close your eyes and think about what it is you enjoy doing in life.
What brings you excitement? Who do you spend time with that inspires you and motivates you to do better in life?
Of course, it can take some time to uncover long term hopes and dreams. Still, identifying some of the people, places, and things that make us feel whole now can serve as a great starting point.
Becoming Actively Aware
If you’re working to build the life you’ve always dreamed of, it’s important to bring conscious awareness to a few key points:
- Try to let go of expectations that you have about yourself, others and life in general. Recovery is about defining your path and figuring out what aspects of yourself you can build upon and grow. Often, the results can blow you away if you let them. While expectations may seem like your best-case scenario, your vision may be limited. Don’t sell yourself short!
- Surround yourself with people who care about your wellbeing. As you begin to set new goals and challenges for yourself, you need to be around others who believe in you and hold you accountable for your growth.
- Recognize that you are truly capable of achieving the life you’ve always wanted. There doesn’t need to be any setbacks or barriers to you living your best life. You can do this!
- Put in the effort. If you talk to others who’ve had success in recovery, you’ll quickly find that it requires a certain level of consistency and commitment. There is no ending point to recovery. Instead, think of it more like a lifestyle overhaul. Changes don’t happen overnight. However, if you are persistent and keep a steady pace, you’ll exceed your wildest dreams. Don’t give up!
- Give yourself time to relax. Sometimes, the best revelations are realized when you’re simply relaxing. Allow yourself to sit and just ‘be.’ This type of mindfulness can help you to realize things you may have never even considered before.
We always hear about the happiest people following their hearts and doing something that they love. If you stay committed to your recovery journey, you can achieve this same level of happiness too.
However, as with all things worth doing, it is going to take time. Creating the life of your dreams won’t happen overnight. It’s a process that takes place over years of self-discovery.
However, as time goes on, you’ll begin to experience glimpses of the life that you wished for. And if you pay attention, little clues and synchronicities will lead you exactly where you always wanted to be.
Developing and growing passion into something that you enjoy will happen naturally as you stay the course and progress in your recovery. However, you can get a great head start by finding joy in the small moments of daily life.
Simply by stepping back and soaking everything in, you may find joy and contentment in the present moment, which will allow you to experience true gratitude for whatever life brings your way in the future.
Practicing Mindfulness to Get Comfortable With the Present Moment
Mindfulness provides a safe container to experience the present moment with a sense of peace and serenity, no matter what’s happening externally. Some of the following mantras could be used to help you tune in and get comfortable with your current experience:
- I am here in the present moment, and I’m tuning in to what the universe has in store for me.
- I am willing to change my perspective and am open to uniquely seeing the world.
- I can experience difficult thoughts or emotions, but I don’t have to act on them.
- I can regain control over my life.
- Everything is possible.
By practicing these mantras, or creating your own specific to your needs, you’ll be able to enjoy the smaller moments. It’s from these little moments that a happy life is built.
Clinging to the need to control external circumstances holds many people back in recovery. Unfortunately, when things don’t go their way, this inevitably leads to disappointment, making them more susceptible to relapse.
What many don’t realize, however, is that their expectations are often created from a limited vision of potential results. Therefore, trying to manipulate things towards that vision can sell them short.
Learning to let go of the future is a process. A great starting point is simply committing to taking small actions daily towards a greater goal but leaving the specifics of the results up to the mystery of life.
Showing up daily motivated and determined to grow will lead you exactly where you are supposed to be. All you have to do is believe that hard work pays off, and let go of the rest. The results will most definitely surpass any you could have dreamed up on your own.
Ready to Make a Change?
If you’re ready to begin your journey towards restoration of the mind, body, and spirit, speak with a professional from Avalon Malibu today. You’ll be surrounded by an entire team of people who are there to lift you up.
When it comes to your recovery and life in general, the sky is truly the limit. Give yourself the chance you deserve to create the life you always wanted, free from addiction. Reach out today to learn more about our services, at 844-857-5992.