Depression affects a lot of us – 350 million of us, to be exact. The symptoms of depression can leave us feeling hopeless, lonely, empty, and fatigued, to name a few. During those times where we feel depressed, it’s incredibly important to take steps towards easing that depression so that we can feel more calm, relaxed, and content. Thankfully, there are several activities that one can do to help alleviate the symptoms of depression:
- Distract yourself. Distracting yourself is a great first step towards getting out of a depressed state. Counting different colored cars, finding different colored objects, or focusing in on the sounds around you can be a great distracting mechanism.
- Exercise. Exercise can relieve depressive symptoms. because it releases feel-good endorphins and other natural chemicals that help overall well-being.
- Develop a routine. Depression can cause our days to melt into one another. A simple routine could be getting out of bed, getting dressed, going for a walk, etc.
- Force yourself into more challenging activities. There are lists activities such as bowling, working out, and gardening which are effective examples of activities.
- Go outside. Sunlight is thought to increase the brain’s release of serotonin, which is associated with enhancing our mood and helping us feel calm and focused.
- Eat healthy food. Dark leafy greens, walnuts, avocado, berries, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, beans, seeds, and apples are all healthy options that enhance the dark symptoms of depression.
If you are feeling depressed, these activities could help you get back on track. The best way to know is to try different things to see what works best. Depression can be debilitating, and if you feel unable to enjoy life, speak with a therapist today. Therapy can be a wonderful place for you to share your concerns and develop cognitive strategies to overcome negative thought patterns. If you are having suicidal thoughts, please call the National Suicide Hotline today at 1-800-273-8255. Your life is worth living. Take steps today to better your happiness and health.
As one of California’s few certified residential facilities for providing primary mental healthcare, Avalon Malibu stands out from conventional treatment. Our luxury residential treatment programs offer a haven environment, nestling our two beautiful homes on a breathtaking estate above the iconic Malibu coastline. Call us today for information on our holistic approach to treatment and our full continuum of care options: 888-958-7511