We can’t outrun technology’s influence over our lives, and whether we like it or not, the way we use technology has affected our brains and bodies. Today’s younger generations are growing up with brains wired differently than kids of previous generations, and only time can show the effects this will have. With our constant use of technology, we end up with brains fatigued from constantly jumping from one thing to the next and strained from communicating so much from behind a screen.
How Does Technology Affect Our Brains?
- Lowers the strength of our memory.
- Multitasking stimulates the production of cortisol and lowers our capabilities of holding attention and staying focused.
- Blue light from screens suppresses our body’s production of melatonin and interferes with our circadian rhythms.
- Prompts negative social comparisons, which lead to increased anxiety and depression.
The good news is that we can limit some of the undesired consequences of excessive technology use by choosing to use our devices mindfully. By thinking through what our individual needs look like around technology use, we can better design appropriate boundaries for the everyday use of devices in our lives.
Good Digital Habits to Introduce:
- Setting screen time limits on phone apps.
- Put devices on do not disturb at night or when trying to complete significant tasks.
- Use technology actively by swapping scrolling on social media with more personally beneficial content like meditation apps, exercise videos, or educational content.
- Limit or disable notifications from apps that don’t require immediate attention.
- Pick time zones in the day when you are allowed to use your technology.
- Don’t use technology while spending quality time with friends, family, and loved ones.
- Regularly participate in digital detoxes for an entire day.
- Don’t check your phone as soon as you wake up or right before you go to sleep; give yourself at least 20-30 minutes to wake up or relax without the influence of outside information.
Overuse of technology is a prevalent problem today, affecting many individual’s well-being and causes feelings of overwhelm, stress, or fatigue. Choosing to control technology use consciously will help to keep your brain clearer and better focused. If you or a loved one is experiencing challenges with their mental health, contact Avalon Malibu. Avalon Malibu is a California state-licensed mental health and substance abuse treatment center that can help you in your addiction recovery and mental health struggles. Through our integrative approach to healing, we will customize a treatment that is unique to your needs. With our help, you can overcome the challenges facing you and can be on the road to feeling a strong sense of well-being and connection once again. To find out more about our services, call us at (844) 857-5992.