Our society is certainly one that embraces medication, and it makes sense – if we can take something that will immediately (or very quickly) attenuate our symptoms, why wouldn’t we? The biggest concern with relying on medication for minor ailments too heavily is that it can lead to dependency, such as what is found with the opioid epidemic. Medication can certainly be beneficial, but it’s best to consider what natural, holistic approaches you can take to minor issues such as stress headaches. Pressure points are derived from Traditional Chinese Medicine and have been used for thousands of years to help soothe a variety of ailments. Pressure points are sensitive areas of the body (such as in the hands, elbows, and feet) that can respond very well to pressure that would often be used in massage.
The following are some amazing pressure points you can use:
- The web area between your thumb and index finger can help an upset stomach
- Placing 3 fingers on your outer wrist and adding some pressure can assist with bloating
- Pressing with 2 fingers on your inner wrist can help you feel less nauseous from overeating
- Running your finger alongside the edge of your thumb fingerprint and down towards your wrist, gently massaging it, can help reduce cold symptoms such as sneezing, chills, runny nose, etc.
- Adding pressure to the edge of your inner wrist can help you regulate your emotions, further promoting happiness
Neck pain, ear aches, and headaches:
- Massaging the outside part of your hand, just below your pinkie finger, has been said to help relieve neck pain and more
Some pressure points are not safe to use if you’re particularly ill or pregnant, so please consult a physician before moving forward. Pressure points can help relieve some of the pain you’re experiencing, providing you with a holistic, healing experience that doesn’t place you at risk for substance dependency.
If you’re seeking even further rejuvenation, massage therapy, acupuncture, meditation, yoga and more can be incredibly transformative. Look into placing your happiness and wellbeing as a priority, starting today.
Avalon Malibu is a world-renowned, California state-licensed mental health and substance abuse recovery center. If you are ready to seek treatment to develop the tools you need to overcome life’s obstacles and be on the road towards happiness, health, and well-being, call us today at 888-958-7511 for a consultation. It’s never too late, and there are people here ready to help you.