Addiction looks different from one person to the next and believing that you don’t have a problem because you may not be passed out all day doesn’t mean you aren’t struggling with addiction deep down. People with functional drug addiction maintain some of the normalcy of daily life and still maintain busy careers, relationships, and activities, yet live a double life and conceal their addiction to substances. Their addiction is a big part of their life but can seem camouflaged by other aspects of their life to outside observers. Identifying the tell-tale signs of functional addiction can help bring the truth to light.
Bodily Symptoms of Functional Drug Addiction
If you are unsure if your substance use habits are not as innocent as you have previously thought, see the below symptoms that may indicate functional drug addiction.
- Irritability, impatience, or mood swings
- Insomnia and trouble sleeping
- Unexplained illness or feeling sick often for no reason
- Brain fog and struggling to focus
- Lack of energy and motivation
Lifestyle Signs of Functional Drug Addiction
If you have been questioning the severity of a loved one’s use of drugs and alcohol, if they show some of the lifestyle signs below, it could mean they are struggling underneath with a true addiction.
- Denial – Since a person struggling with a functional drug addiction maintains a certain sense of normalcy in other parts of their life outside of their addiction, they don’t acknowledge the severity of their addiction.
- Excuses – Their secret addiction warrants excuses for all of the unusual behavior required to adequately cover up hiding their substance abuse.
- Unusual behavior – An addiction has effects that bleed into all aspects of a person’s life, so noticing odd behavior in their career, relationships, hobbies, or health can be a sign of secret substance abuse.
Addiction looks different for everybody. Don’t discount clear signs of addiction just because you are still functioning in other parts of your life. Get the proper help you need for your addiction and find the personal freedom that you desire and deserve. Avalon Malibu is one of the only residential treatment centers in California that treats both mental health disorders and substance use addiction. At Avalon, we offer a continuum of high-quality, integrated care that meets the many needs of our patients and focuses on treating the mind, body, and spirit. Contact us when you are ready to begin your recovery journey at (844) 857-5992.