The International OCD Foundation defines obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) as “a mental health disorder that affects people of all ages and all walks of life, and occurs when a person gets caught in a cycle of obsessions or compulsions”. Obsessions, which often take the form of intrusive thoughts, can cause extreme distress in individuals. The symptoms of OCD can cause much anxiety and panic over real or imagined events, but thankfully there are forms of treatment that have proved to help many people with this disorder.
There are several evidence-based treatments for those with OCD:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy – Also known as CBT, this form of therapy teaches clients skills to modify dysfunctional thinking and behavior by providing structured, present-oriented psychotherapy.
- Exposure and response prevention therapy (ERPT) – With this therapy, clients are slowly exposed to what they fear most to learn how to manage their irrational thoughts regarding their fear.
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT) – Like CBT, ACT focuses on accepting reactions and being present, choosing a valued direction, and acting. This form of therapy helps clients to accept things they cannot control and to work with what they can control, which is their thoughts and actions.
- Motivational interviewing – This form of therapy engages the therapist in a supportive way while supporting the client in discovering new tools for managing symptoms related to OCD.
- Medications – Advances in both psychological therapies and pharmacological therapies have provided those with OCD more relief from their symptoms.
With several forms of effective therapy to choose from, individuals with OCD have a high chance of relieving their symptoms and finding a better way to manage their thoughts and actions. OCD has the propensity to control one’s daily life, but it doesn’t have to remain that way. There are many resources available and many people ready to help you begin your journey to recovery.
If you are seeking treatment for OCD or another mental disorder, call us today at 888-958-7511. Avalon Malibu is a world-renowned mental health and substance abuse recovery treatment center dedicated to helping you restore your mind, body, and spirit. We believe that each person has unique needs and ways of learning, so we will work with you to construct an individualized treatment plan geared towards those needs. Make the decision to seek help today. Call us for a consultation.