One of the key phrases in recovery is that “each day is a new day”. Just as the sun sets and rises each day, you can rest assured that you will have yet another opportunity to tackle this thing called life. Addiction and mental illness recovery is comprised of the countless hours, practice, and self-care that individuals put in to make them who they are today; much of this starts with simply waking up in the morning. If you’ve recently started your day, make the decision to do something a little different. Try some writing therapy by selecting a prompt to get your creative juices flowing and your energy going.
The American Psychological Association (APA) emphasizes that individuals who engage in therapeutic writing experience a variety of benefits, including improved immune system functioning, reduced stress, better control over diseases, reduced anxiety, and more. To get your day started off on a good note, pick one of the following writing prompts and get to work:
- Write a letter to your mental illness and/or addiction and let it know why it doesn’t define you.
- The last positive thing that happened to me was…
- I deserve love because…
- Write about what you would do if you made your health and happiness a priority in your life. (Then, maybe think about taking some steps towards those things today)
- Make a list of 30 things that make you smile.
- What is something that you wish other people would know about you? (Then, consider telling someone whom you can trust)
- Write a letter to yourself about all of the words you need to hear right now to continue being your best self.
There’s nothing selfish about self-care. By working towards your own happiness and health, you are giving yourself a life full of energy, love, and passion that can spread to others. No matter your circumstance, beginning your day with a creative exercise that will boost your positivity increases your chances of thinking and living positively.
If you have been diagnosed with a mental disorder or addiction, it’s important that you seek help from a reputable treatment center today.
Avalon Malibu is a world-renowned, California state-licensed mental health and substance abuse recovery center. If you are ready to seek treatment to develop the tools you need to overcome life’s obstacles and be on the road towards happiness, health, and well-being, call us today at 888-958-7511 for a consultation. It’s never too late, and there are people here ready to help you.