Sleeping pills are meant to induce deep sleep for an extended period of 6-10 hours. While for some sleeping pills are hardly noticeable, for others, the next day can feel as though they’ve been demolished by a wrecking ball. Even if you get a full 12 hours of sleep or more you might feel drowsy as a result of sleeping pills. Sleeping pill “hangovers” are feeling the effects of a sleeping pill well after a full night’s rest. Side effects can include:
- Severe drowsiness
- Difficulty concentrating
- Loss of motor function control
- Difficulty speaking; slurred and incoherent speech
- Acting as though intoxicated
- Falling in and out of sleep
- Unable to stay asleep or awake in a continuous state
Other Side Effects
Other side effects can result from the use of sleeping pills. Side effects of sleeping pills can include:
- Change in sleeping behaviors and habits: a sleeping pill should just help you sleep. However, some sleeping pills inspire your brain to take more action while you sleep. Sleep walking, sleep eating, and other dangerous sleep-doing activities can occur.
- Tolerance for sleeping pills: Overtime the body can become used to taking sleep medication. As a result, the body ceases to respond to medication when taken. The body will return to old sleeping patterns, or even start to crave the sleeping pill so it can get a good night’s rest.
- Dependency on sleeping pills: When the body develops a need to take a sleeping pill in order to relax or sleep, it has become dependent on it. Abusing a prescription for a sleeping pill is not a necessary requirement to building a dependency. Many people who use their medications as prescribed every day find that should they forget their pill one day or decide to stop taking it they experience symptoms of withdrawal.
- Death: As a result of overdose on sleeping pills, mixing a prescription with other drugs, or driving while sleeping (or sleeping pill hangover) death can occur. Famous deaths like Heath Ledger occurred as a result of mixing sleeping medications with other medications.
Avalon By The Sea offers detox, inpatient, and various levels of luxurious residential care from comfortable and private estate on the cliffs of Malibu. Our goal is to provide effective and therapeutic holistic healing for lifelong recovery. For a private consultation and more information on our programs, call 1 888-958-7511.